Wednesday, September 15, 2010


Sean Huze
"The Sandstorm"

            “War stories. Everyone that’s actually been over there has ‘em. See, truth be told, war hasn’t changed much over the years.” Sean Huze relays the war stories of ten marines who spent their time in Iraq through his play “The Sandstorm”. This play is a true reflection of the men and women fighting daily for our freedom and safety and the things they witness in their days overseas. The harsh reality of things these individuals observe on the daily is completely out of our perspective and understanding. The stories they share are unbearable and disturbing. They give the reader a real glimpse into the life of being a soldier, something none of us are able to fathom.
            We are so quick to place judgment and blame on the people of Iraq for the harsh reality that so many of our American men and women are risking their lives due to the stupidity of another individual, and the actions that have been made against our country. I found one act in this play to be exceptionally touching.  “Everyone from the President down to some boot private wants to pass the burden of the horrors we were onto the Iraqis.” Doc Matthews share one horror he experienced while overseas. He recalls, “We had come across a burned out 4 door compact. Its wheels had melted and it was still smoking. We saw 3 burned corpses in the car and he was lying next to it. I don’t know how the hell he survived but he did. His wife and two children were a different story.” He continues reliving that moment, “I could smell their still smoldering flesh and I just broke down. I couldn’t stop crying and I hugged this man whose family had just been massacred by us, by Marines. I’m sorry, I’m so sorry.” The Man looked up at me, “ Not your fault. I blame Saddam. You, you Americans are a gift from Allah. You are here to deliver us from Saddam. I only wish I could have gotten my family out sooner.” This scene was stood out incredibly to me because it is something some of our American civilians do not understand. It is an important reality we may not otherwise grasp. The reality that not every person in Iraq means harm, it is not the civilians whom are to blame, but instead the piece of shit that started this war. The people of Iraq are grateful for our American troops, as are we, and show them the respect they deserve.
            The utter reality of emotional exhaustion that our soldiers endure can never really be understood through these stories but Sean Huze has a way of relaying their pain in a manner that the reader can truly feel for and perceive. From their harsh conditions, the heat and dehydration, to the devastating images they are subject to daily. This play is not only scrutinizing but an authentic truth of the lives these people live and the challenges they face while overseas. Many of us experience culture shock when moving to a new place or being in an unfamiliar situation. The amount of shock and disbelief these soldiers are facing I cannot imagine and I give them the upmost respect for their courage and strength. God Bless. 

Here I have inserted a link to more stories of those soldiers we have fighting in Iraq, and the things they have witnessed while overseas: 


No comments:

Post a Comment