Tuesday, October 12, 2010

October 12, 2010

Dear Mrs. Cline,

I can’t even believe we are already half way through this semester; it’s gone by so fast. I am really enjoying English 102, more then any previous English course I have taken, in fact. Your style of online teaching is really easy to understand and I love that we are able to receive extra credit, that doesn’t happen often. I also love all the blogging we have done thus far. Writing a blog is something I had never become familiar with before this course, and I think it is a really good way to show our creative and individual sides.

My Biggest challenge in the class thus far has probably been the essay writing. I am familiar with writing essays but there is always improvement and growth to be made. I have never analyzed a piece of writing before, and although it seems like an easy thing to do, I have been assured it is not. Literary analysis is so different from any other writing that I have done before; you are required to look at every piece of literature that you read with a new deeper perspective. There is always a deeper message then the obvious one, and through literary analysis I have learned how to find that message, or even create it, whether it is right or wrong. I am not exactly sure what to expect when we research, analyze, and contrast a piece of work, but I am ready to find out what it’s all about! My biggest success thus far has probably been all of the growth I’ve seen in my writing. I have found a good outlet to make writing not seem as rough through my blog, and have enjoyed that very much. I have also been very motivated to do well in this course, and am seeing ample success so far, hoping to finish strong!

The readings in this class so far are unlike those in my English 101 course or any other course for that matter. They are relevant and current. They are relatable and give such deep messages. I never expected that I would read a story like “The Sandstorm” in a college course. Much to my surprise I LOVED it! With all of the harsh pictures it provides, I couldn’t have picked a better and more interesting read, to both write and analyze on. I am really enjoying the reading. Before this class I knew slim to none about Vietnam and in reading “The Things They Carried,” I have been exposed to some history. It feels good to gain so much knowledge out of an English course, something I have never done previously.

My Goals for the second half of this semester are simple. I hope to finish strong. I plan on doing nothing more then improving. My writing has grown immensely and can only grow more. I plan on expanding my pallet and trying new ways to interpret and analyze. I hope to accomplish an A for my final grade. I want to become more familiar with literary analysis because it is still such a foreign thing for me. I can’t wait to see what the remainder of the semester brings but I am ready to conquer it all. J

Sincerely,
Irma Jarovic 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


No comments:

Post a Comment